The Secret Life of Bees Final Post (Due: Wednesday, November 18)
Hi all,
Once you have finished reading The Secret Life of Bees, I'd like you to go a little deeper. I'd like you to pick one of the five choices below. I would like you to aim for two pages (~500 words), regardless of the response you choose to do. The one exception might be the poem or song (#2).
I also want to draw your attention to the fact that it is due on Wednesday next week (instead of our typical Tuesday).
1. Write a diary of one of the characters. Tell his/her secret thoughts, motivations, history, ideas for the future, and thoughts about others. For example, write Deborah’s diary explaining what really happened the day she died.
2. Rewrite part of the novel in poem or song form.
3. Pretend you’re one of the characters. It’s 20 years from the end of the novel. Write a letter to another character in the book about what you’ve been doing with your life. For example, does Lily ever see her father again?
4. Write a series of letters between any two characters.
5. Write a letter to the author about what you think about the book.
Prompt 3:
ReplyDeleteDear T. Ray,
Please don’t throw out this letter. I know that you don’t want any contact with me—and trust me, I understand—but I need you to hear what I have to say. First of all, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that my mother left you. She was depressed and unhappy, and I think that might be why you’re always so angry. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that you loved her. I’ll never know if it’s true or not, but pretending that it is takes away some of the hurt. I just wish that you hadn’t taken all of your anger out on me. I know it all happened more than twenty years ago, and this is probably the last thing you want to think about right now, but I can’t think of a better way to get any closure. You hurt me so much, physically and mentally. All I ever wanted was to be loved by you, to find some evidence that I wasn’t a burden. But every Christmas, when you gave me the exact same gift, and when I worked so hard on that poem for you only to find it abandoned on the countertop, you reminded me that you didn’t care. Instead of saying “I love you,” you yelled at me and made me kneel on Martha White grits. Until I ran away from home, Rosaleen was the only person who supported me. I don’t think I’ll ever forgive you for that.
But that isn’t my point. I’ve put my childhood behind me. Talking to you is the final step to moving on. As much as I want to wallow in my grief and hate you for the rest of my life, I recognize that that’s no way to make progress. So I guess I’m offering you a second chance. Well, really, it’s more like a three-hundredth chance, but that doesn’t make it any less valid. I wish I could have known the person you were before my mother died. August told me that you treated her like a princess, so that person must have existed at some point; I just never got to meet him. So, if you want to make up for all the mistakes you made, it’s now or never. My address and phone number are enclosed in case you want to respond.
I’m happy to let you know that I’m a college professor at the University of South Carolina. I’m teaching English. I’ve also had two books published by now; the most recent one came out a few months ago. I am staying in touch with Rosaleen and August as much as I can (Rosaleen decided to stay in Tiburon after I graduated from high school). June and her husband, Neil, are also doing well. It’s really too bad that you didn’t meet August and June under different circumstances. They’re wonderful people. If you take me up on my offer, I’ll introduce you to them again. I also have a good friend named Zach who I think you should also meet. If you and I keep corresponding, he’ll probably be around a lot.
Even if you want to keep on ignoring the fact that you have a daughter, replying would be the least you could do for me. Part of me wants to hold a grudge against you forever, but deep down, I know it’s not the right thing to do. It might be wishful thinking, but I have an inkling that you feel the same way.
Love, Lily
That was really good. I especially liked your updates on the various characters and that Rosaleen stayed in Tiburon and that Lily was a college professor. Well done!
DeleteAden Perry
ReplyDeleteMr Joseph Deffner
English 9
14 November 2020
Prompt 4 - Series of Letters
Letter 1 - Lily to August - 1969, 5 years after The Secret Life of Bees:
Dear August,
I know it’s been a while since we last talked, and I’m sorry. I was just mad about what you said. Please know that I only left for that anger, but also know that I will not be coming back. I got a job and I’m paying the rent, so I’ll be fine.
In other news, did you hear what they managed to do? I can’t believe we managed to send someone to the moon. Honestly, I don’t think I could ever be an astronaut. I heard they have to go through all kinds of training, and Apollo 1 blew up before it even left the ground! What if it happens again? That would be horrible for those families. They’re already up, but something could still happen on the way back down.
I heard that the Jim Crow laws were lifted, so some congratulations are in order. You’ll be in a much better position now that those aren’t still there. Maybe you can safely come to visit soon. If you do, I look forwards to it.
Love,
Lily
Letter 2 - August to Lily - 1969, 5 years after The Secret Life of Bees:
Dear Lily,
Thank you for your letter. I regret starting an argument, even if I do still believe I was right. You will always be welcome here but if you wish to stay away, that’s your choice. I do still hope you will continue to send letters, though.
I also can’t believe they managed to get to the Moon. It almost seems surreal. I would love to go there someday, even if I did have to through all that training. But that would be leaving June behind, and I can’t do that.
I’m sure you don’t need to worry about the astronauts dying. Apollo 1 was the first one, and there have been nine since then. There have already been a bunch of spaceflights, which is probably the most dangerous part. It would be awful if they died, but that is very unlikely.
Thank you for your congratulations, but I would hold off on giving them if I were you. The laws may have been lifted, but that doesn’t mean racism is over. There will still be plenty of problems for black people. If anyone, you should give your congratulations to Zach. Now that the laws are lifted, he’ll be in a much better position to do as he pleases.
Speaking of Zach, I was wondering if you wanted to go on a short vacation with me, June and Zach this summer. We can have fun and make honey, just like old times. At the end of it, we can help you try to get into college if you want. Please mull it over and write back with a response.
Love,
August
Letter 3 - Lily to August - 1976, 11 years after The Secret Life of Bees:
Dear August,
Once again I need to thank you for taking me on that vacation all those years ago. It has probably changed my life in all the best ways. I got into college, as you know, and got my Master’s degree. I still want to work with you as a beekeeper, though! I don’t how bad the pay is.
There are many things that I could go on and on about, but I already have, and I really need to tell you this: Zach proposed to me yesterday. You’re the first person I’ve told, but I’m super excited. It’s also kind of nerve-racking, but I want it. You’re going to be getting an invitation, naturally. Zach and I are still discussing things, but I still can’t believe it’s happening. See you there!
Love,
Lily
That's great, Aden. I'm curious what the argument was about? I love the fact that Lily and Zach are getting married. Good letters!
DeleteI think these are great letters, Aden. I really like how you incorporated events that were happening in the real world at this time and didn’t just talk about what was going on in the book. This made your letters feel very realistic and made it seem like August and Lily were real people, not just characters. I also like how you talk about the moon landings; I feel like that is something Lily and August would both be very interested in. I could definitely see August wanting to go to space if the book had continued. I’m very curious about why Lily and August were fighting, but it must have been pretty serious if it forced Lily to move out. I am also wondering what happened while Lily, August, June, and Zach were on vacation because Lily’s last letter makes it seem like she was impacted a lot by those events. I’m really glad that you put a part in the last letter about Lily wanting to work as a beekeeper with August. Throughout the book, Lily seemed very passionate about the bees and their honey, and I could definitely see her following that passion when she is older. I think Lily and August's personalities really came through in these letters and it seemed like they were written in the same style as the book, which was very cool.
DeleteLetter 1:
ReplyDelete1973 six years after secret life of bees
Dear T.ray,
Please read this letter and don’t throw it away, just read and try to have an open mine. I know you don't want to talk to me and I understand your point of view but I need to talk to you, I’m sorry. I’m sorry that she left you; it wasn’t far to you. But I don’t think she was thinking straight because she was so out of it and so unhappy. I know that's not anything that helps you, I know you loved her. I know you probably don’t want to admit it because of what she did to you and I understand and you shouldn’t have had to go through that nobody should, But why did you have to push me out because you were angry I was going through the same thing. All I have ever wanted was to be close to you- You don’t know how much you hurt me by pushing me out because you were angry. I felt like I was useless because of you and i’m not sure how I don’t feel like that now but If I had an idea it would be because I’m older now and I don’t think I need your love as much as I wanted it when I was younger. When I wrote you that poem, It took me forever and when you gave me the same thing you usually give me for Christmas it made me feel worse than ever, which I think is the reason I ran away because at that time the only person that I thought cared about me was Rosaleen, which now that I think about is true because I spent so much time trying to get you to love me I didn’t allow myself to be loved by others because I didn’t love my self.
Anyway if you're still reading which I really hope you are I would really like to meet you again and kind of start over. I really think that you would like it here even though I don’t really know you. I would really like you to try to have an open mind if you decide to come because I think that we could start over and become close, even though I don’t have a great connection with you I still love you.
I hope you decide to give us a second chance and come meet me. I miss you, and I hope you miss me.
Love,
Lily
P.s I have some really cool and fun people I would love for you to meet! Hope to see you soon, And if I don’t I hope you doing well. <3
Letter 2: sent 1974
Dear Lily,
Hi it's me T.ray I'm not sure how to respond to this but I'm happy you reached out. I'm so sorry I made you feel useless. I'm sure you were the best. I was just so hurt at that time because of mom. I should have been better and gotten over it. I know you were hurting too. I just didn't think of you because I was being selfish and I'm so sorry and I do love you I think I'm not sure though I haven't seen you for years and I would also like for that to change I know that's it's been a year since you sent this I just haven't known what to say, and I'm still not sure that what I'm saying is any good but what I think you should know is I would love to come meet you I'm not sure what its going to be like but I will try to have an open mind.
Sincerely,
T.ray
prompt 4^^^
DeletePrompt 3:
ReplyDeleteDear August,
I am so sorry for not writing to you sooner. I have been very busy, but that is no excuse. Teaching has been so fun but also so hard. I love teaching the children, especially the young boys and girls who have a bright future ahead of them, but some of the other children who have no desire to learn, are harder to control. I learn new things every day, from the children telling me new things to learning what teaching style is better for each student.
I have also been working on a book. I always wanted to publish one of my stories, as you know, and I finally decided to do it. I will not tell you which story I am publishing, so you will have to see when it is out. Don’t worry, I will send you a signed copy. I still cannot believe that I went to college to do what I loved. I love being an English teacher and hopefully a famous writer.
I have been visiting my father more and more, lately. After many years of sending letters back and forth, I decided that it would be nice to see him again. When I was younger, I hated him for being so mean and cruel to me, but I know now that part of that is because of my mother leaving us and how it affected him afterward. Although I can never forget my childhood, it is nice to know that T. Ray has acknowledged it and realized what he did wrong. He is still selling his peaches and has been doing well on his own.
How is Zach? I know he took over Mr. Forrest’s law practice after he graduated from law school and Mr. Forrest retired. I’m so glad he was accepted into school and worked hard to achieve his dream. Is he still helping with the bees? June wrote to me a couple of months ago and told me that you were looking for another person to help with the bees, and was wondering if Zach was helping you in his free time. It seems like he is very busy now that he is one of the best lawyers in Tiburon. Sometimes I wish that we had stayed together, but we went our separate ways to achieve what we wanted to do. However, I’m glad we stayed friends for all these years.
When June wrote to me, it seemed like she was doing very well with Neil. She mentioned that she got a new job, to play cello in a symphony. She is so talented, so I am very glad she had a job that she loves. How is April May? I have not visited in such a long time, and I miss her very much. I am so glad that she shared May’s love for everything, but not as much as the sadness. She takes after her mother for her stubbornness but is also very passionate. Last time I heard that June was trying to get April May to learn the cello like herself, but she was more interested in piano. I have to visit soon before she goes off to college!
Paul has been doing very well. We just celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary a few months ago! It is crazy that we met each other in college and have been together ever since. Also, Deborah is turning three in a couple of weeks! She is getting so big and I cannot wait for you to meet her again soon. She has changed so much since you last saw her. We have started calling her DeeDee as a nickname. I make sure to tell her stories of her aunts August, June, and departed May. She is so excited to see you again, and I promise to come visit very soon!
Love,
Lily
Love that Lily's daughter's name is Deborah and that she has a nickname. That's a really great detail. Well done.
DeletePrompt: 5 (Letter to the author about what I think about the book)
ReplyDeleteDear Sue Monk Kidd,
I am a freshman at a high school in Vermont called Thetford Academy. This year in English Nine Honors we were required to read your book titled “The Secret Life of Bees”. I am writing to you in order to give you some feedback on your book. While I’m sure you get a lot of feedback from readers already but I figured I could add to that feedback. I am hoping that my feedback to you is nice, thoughtful, honest, and worth reading.
When I first saw that we would be reading “The Secret Life of Bees” I really had no idea what it was about. I was not sure what to expect but it did however reminded me of a movie that my sister used to love to watch. Maybe you have heard of it it is called “The Bee Movie”. While I had no idea what the book was going to be about I knew that judging by the title this was not a book that I would usually read. The title did not get me excited about the book. I usually read books about sports or history so this was a little outside those categories.
During school, we got all of the books on the reading list. As I went through the books I had received making sure I got them all I saw “The Secret Life of Bees”. Even though I had had no idea what the book was about the cover of the book took me by surprise, it had not been what I was expecting at all. I know everyone says you are not supposed to judge a book by its cover but I most definitely did. When I saw the cover of “The Secret Life of Bees” I immediately thought that this book was going to be a journey through a bee’s life from the bee’s very perspective. I do not think I have ever been more wrong.
When I started to read the book I realized how terribly wrong I was. While the bees were a very important symbol in the book they did not play nearly the role I was imagining. That aside I really enjoyed reading the book. The plot was very interesting and keep you on your toes with its sudden changes. Just when you thought you finally understood everything there was another change and this persisted until the very end of the book. I also appreciated that all the characters’ personalities were very detailed. As readers, we got a little bit of personal information about each character which I think helped us to connect and relate to each character on a personal level.
I have a few questions for you being that you are the author. I would appreciate you writing back with answers but of course, I understand that you probably get a lot of mail about your books and are very busy. My first question is what were your steps of writing the book did you first come up with a plot and then add detail around it or did you just start writing page 1 and made it up as you went along? And when writing the book were the bees always apart of it or did you add them later? How did you come up with the plot? Are the characters based off people you know as far as personalities? What was the hardest part to write? How long did it take you to write the book? How many drafts did you write before publishing? That is all I will ask for now.
Thank you for taking the time to read my letter to you. I hope you enjoyed hearing about my experience with your book. I think your book taught me how misleading titles and covers can be but I will probably make the same mistake again.
Sincerely your reader,
Mason
Really thoughtful questions here! I appreciate you mentioning how the book was different than your expectations
DeletePrompt 3
ReplyDeleteDear T. Ray,
I know I have not talked to you in a long time. Heck the last time i saw you was nearly twenty years ago and we didn't leave each other on the best note. I have been thinking a-lot about that day recently and part of me has been wanting to reach out to you for a while now. There is so much I want to tell you and its been hurting me that I cant. So I guess this letter is for me as much as it is for you. Me and Zach are married now. I know you never really met him and i doubt that you would approve of my marrying of him but I have found that I love him beyond belief. We are expecting our first child soon. A girl we have decided to name may. Zach got the job he always wanted as a lawyer and is considered one of the brightest and hardest working lawyers in all of south Carolina. Im very proud of him despite the looks we often get when together. August continues to thrive in her honey business and if still going strong in her old age. She and June still stay in close contact. I still live Tiburon and have slowly grown to love the town for all its quirks and kinks. I still visit the pink house on occasion and it still fills me with that strong feeling of love that I never felt in your house. I don't mean that in a mean way it's just how it is. Mary still gives me a feeling of power even though I have found that power and love in myself as well. Neil and June both settled down and have been happily married for twenty years. They continue to radiate so much love and affection towards each-other that it knocks one off their feet the first time you meet them. The daughters of eve still continue to gather just with out dear old Queenie. She passed away almost three years ago now and things just are not the same without her. When she passed it reminded everyone of may and the sadness was almost unbearable. We held a vigil for her and the mood was a bit better but the meetings were never quite the same without her and her hats. Her daughter, violet stopped coming after she died claiming they just were not the same without her mother. I spent much time with her after that. After all I know what it's like to go through life without a mother. We definitely got closer after that and she in now one of my best friends.
I hope this letter means something to you T. Ray. I know we have not talked in a long time and maybe you hate me and i'm ok with that. But i just wanted to let you know whats happening in my life just in case you care.
Your daughter,
Lily
Prompt 4:
ReplyDeleteApprox. 8 years after the book ends
Dear August,
I know I haven’t been writing as often as I should be, but I wanted to tell you that I just graduated college! 4 long, hard years, but it was definitely worth it. Zach is busy in law school, studying hard, but after he graduates and officially becomes a lawyer, we’re going to buy a beautiful house somewhere near here, maybe Georgia. I’m not sure where my career is going at the moment, but I have big plans to start my own beekeeping and honey business on the side. Everything you and your sisters taught me is going to come in handy, and I can’t wait to start mapping out what I’m going to do. I can’t think of any name ideas for my brand yet. Any thoughts?
How is everybody doing? I heard that Rosaleen was very ill recently. Is she doing any better? Tell her hello from me.
Love,
Lily
Dear Lily,
It’s so nice to hear from you again! Everybody says congratulations on your graduation. I’m so glad you’re keeping the honey selling tradition alive. I’m the only one tending to the honey here nowadays, with June living with Neil, so I don’t sell as much as I used to.
Speaking of June and Neil, I think they’re fighting right now. They’ve been having more and more disagreements all the time, and June keeps coming over here to talk. It’s stressing her out, but I’m sure they’ll be fine. It’s been eight years and they always make peace in the end. Even though June hasn’t always been good at that.
Rosaleen is alright. She’s had a few bouts of bad sickness recently, but she’s recovering. Just in time to vote in a few months, too. She misses you, as do the rest of us. You should come and visit sometime soon, we haven’t seen you in a long time.
Love,
August
Dear August,
I know it’s been awhile since our last couple letters. It was nice to see everybody when Zach and I came down to visit last weekend. I’m just writing to get everything out because I’m not doing that great at the moment. I broke my mother’s mirror the other day. You know, the pocket mirror you gave me with a few other of her things. I was rearranging a shelf and it just slipped. Smashed on the ground. I never used that mirror--I never wanted to because of when you told me I would see my mother’s face looking back at me. I know you weren’t serious, and that isn’t possible, but still. Even though I would never dare look at that mirror, I still feel like a piece of me’s gone. I have her hairbrush and the pin still, but the mirror’s gone. I feel like I’ve let her down--let another little piece of her memory disappear. I’m upset now, but I’ll be alright.
Love,
Lily.
- Leo
I really like the detail of the mirror and the conversation she had with August about it. Well done.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Sue Monk Kidd,
ReplyDeleteI am writing in response to your first novel and how I reacted in effect. Upon opening and consumption of the first couple of chapters, I loved the approach used in the introduction. Whenever I am reading a novel, the subjects addressed in the introduction are quite helpful to me. Primarily the setting in time and place, as well as the characters, are what I hope to see. When I read the introduction, I was impressed by how all this info flowed very poetically. The first couple of chapters contained a substantial amount of Lilly's internal dialog. The past detail assisted me in visualization and understanding. I think this is also helpful for a short novel like this because it can save a possible 50 plus pages.
Like I was saying the poetic way this book is written makes it have a magical sense in a way many novels fail to do. Remembering back to the beginning when you wrote about Lilly sneaking out at night and chasing after a sense of freedom this stuck out to me. This part particularly was written very poetically and helped me see into who Lily is and her thoughts and yearnings. This same writing style came back a few times but this was the strongest in my opinion.
The Characters in this book are very compelling. I think with all the characters there is some mystery to them and this causes a want from the reader to continue as a connection is made with the characters. While this book contains no real antagonist in my view but rather an evil societal belief is held as the antagonist T ray being a negative character stands out to me. He in my opinion is a very compelling character. He is a tragic character and there are many references throughout the book that talks of him before his wife died. There are references of his love for Lily's mom and of his joy and kindness. I think that because of this we feel bad for him and his circumstance that has left him angry at the world, Lilly, and ultimately himself.
When Lily is first staying with the sisters is likely my favorite part of the book. I like it because it's a combination of her anxious feelings and her relief from being away from her past situation. I like this part because it shows her maturing growing and finding herself in search of her mother. This brings me to the underlying theme in my mind which is her in search of her mother and closure to a weird unknown part of her life finding a mother in the sisters who brought her in as well as Mary the sisters spiritual patron and Rosaline. I think it was definitely meaningful how in the end her mother, who was so romanticized in her mind was not anything special and in fact very flawed herself and rather the family she had grown to love in search of her real mother, and who had acted as that figure for her.
Because of all these great aspects I would definitely recommend this book to anyone and love to read it again sometime myself.
Best, Daniel
I think it's very interesting and empathetic of you to view T.Ray as a tragic character. Nice reflections of the novel here!
DeletePrompt 4.
ReplyDeleteDearest May,
I have decided to write you letters. I will place them in the corner of the wailing wall for you to read.
Exciting news! June has accepted Neil’s proposal. We are in the midst of planning her wedding and oh May, everything is so beautiful out now. I know you would love the decorations we have set up. June is wearing a beautiful suit with frog buttons. She misses you, as do we all. I don’t know what we would have done with her if we hadn’t found your letter. She was so unhappy. Poor Lily has been in a funk lately. She asked about her mother, Debrah. I suppose you were the one who told her Debrah had lived here. That poor girl now says she hates her mother. Lily hasn’t been eating either. Poor Zach wasn’t sure how to approach her. He didn’t want to make her more upset. I really can’t blame him. He was smart for giving her space. I can tell he really loves her. Honestly, I don’t know what to say to that girl, so I pulled out the old hat box with Debroah’s things. I hope that will help. Give love to April, Mama, Papa, and Big Mama for us.
Love,
August.
Dear May,
June married Neil and it was beautiful. They are so happy. June is happy. Lily has moved into June’s old room. We redecorated it and the Daughters helped us with fixings and gave us a rug. Rosaleen registered to vote. Lily was so worried before we went. She said, “don’t spit on anyone.” Thank goodness that didn’t happen this time.
T-Ray, Lily’s father showed up the other day. Lily had made a phone call that gave him our location and he drove here all the way from Sylvan. He showed up thinking Lily was Deborah. I swear he would have killed that girl. I do feel awfully sorry for him. He did truly love Deborah. I believe every time he looked at Lily while she grew up, he saw Deborah, how she left him. T-Ray demanded Lily come home with him but I offered Lily could live with us and go to school in Tiburon.
Lily is living with us now and has started school. She has made a friend and the two girls stick with Zach. He always tells them to walk away from him, but I can see he really likes them with him.
We miss you so much. I pray for you every day and I hope you will pray for us. Give love to April, Mama, Papa, and Big Mama.
Love
August
Dear May,
August suggested I write to you knowing it will ease my sorrows. I am well aware that you will never read this, but August insisted. Neil and I moved in together. We are so happy. We painted our house yellow. I know you would have wanted pink, but that was too flashy for me, so we settled on yellow. I planted flowers in pots sitting on every window in the house. Daisies and tulips and pansies. We have goats and chickens! Neil insisted on chickens for eggs. The rooster wakes me up at 5:30 every morning, it’s terrible. I’m afraid one morning I'll go outside and kill it with my bare hands. I am still playing the cello although it is a bit difficult now that my stomach is the size of a watermelon. May I’m pregnant! August has been getting her house ready for a baby because she insisted she and Lily and Rosaleen would take care of it while Neil and I are teaching at the school. I am ever so excited.
Give April my love.
Love,
June
What great letters here! You really captured the characters' voices, especially with June. I like how you have it that she isn't a believer of the letter helping at the beginning, but then she gets into it as the letter continues.
DeleteDear T. Ray,
ReplyDeleteHi T. Ray, it is Lily.
I hope you read this with love and hopes that you have forgiven me because that is what I am doing now in this letter, forgiving you.
In the time that I have been gone, I have done lots and lots of things.
I am almost a completely different person now, really.
I hope you knowing that I am happy makes you feel only a sliver better about my mother leaving you. You did not deserve it.
I think of you often.
I know we haven't talked in so long but I really do hope you are well.
It took a lot to write this letter. When I left I did not understand why you hurt me, why you did not tell me anything about my mother, why you got so angry at me for no reason at all.
I understand now it was just out of anger for my mother. I am just hoping you will read this, and be happy at where I am in life. I met a guy when I was younger, and he became someone I care about, someone who became the biggest man in my life, and for once, not you. I did well, being with the sisters, it helped me learn about myself and learn about the world, not in the eyes of you. He loved me, I think. And well, I loved him. Everyone knew it. He cared for me and he knew me when I did not know myself. I know that sounds stupid and dumb but, well it was, it was dumb, stupid, young love.
I do not know if you heard but we lost May.
Her and I were close, we all were.
I thought a lot about what I wanted to be when I was younger. Being with the sisters made me think about life more, and made me learn more about myself.
May had this thing. It was called the wailing wall.
It was where you went and wrote your problems and put them in the wall, your prayers and wishes too.
I started using one, partly for May and partly for myself. But it helps, I can talk and wish for things that I can change and some things I cannot.
I think if I came back now, and saw you, told you everything that has happened, it would be too much. You do not matter to me anymore but you deserve to know that I am well, and I have been raised and grown up well.
I have a job, where I teach and tutor children, writing. They love to learn, and I have met some amazing people.
I really do hope that you respond, you do not have to consider me your daughter or write back immediately or at all, I am doing this more for myself. To maybe look back on the ways I have changed since you have seen me last.
Just do what feels right. Know and remember that I am sorry for what my mother did to you, but not sorry for how you treated me.
Be well T. Ray.
I will never ever forget you.
With Love,
Lily
Interesting letter. Lily seems to be very magnanimous in her feelings about T. Ray. I wonder if Lily would forgive T. Ray. It would certainly be hard to do!
DeletePrompt #3
ReplyDeleteDear Rosaleen,
It’s been almost 5 years since we last saw each other. It’s been 5 years since I’ve seen any of you. I’ve been so busy with all my writing and trying to finish my second book. I hope to come home for the holidays this year. I miss you all and it’s been too long. How have you been? How’s August and June? I’ve been thinking a lot about May lately, it's been 5 years ago today since May passed. She had a big part in my book, she inspired me a lot. I also have been thinking a lot about the day T-Ray came to bring me back. I finally saw the good in him that day. Before then I didn't think he had any in him but in his own way, he showed that he cared. I think the only way he knew how to help me was to let me stay with August and June and you. I still talk to Zach a lot he visits often. His Law Firm is right down the street from me. I'm not mad at my mom anymore. I realized she was taking care of herself in a bad time. She tried to come back for me and that's all that matters, it took time but I'm not mad at either one of them T-Ray or Mother. So what's new with you? I'm assuming you voted in the election? That day you first went to register to vote is when everything started. It's been 20 years since that day isn't that crazy. I moved out about 7 years after that, right? Then I moved to Richmond Virginia. Consequently, so did Zach. His Law Firm keeps him busy but somehow he finds time to come visit all you, more than I do. My first book was all about how you took care of me as a child and how you were the mother I never had. A lot of it was about T-Ray and what he was like and how I saw him. I thought a lot about what made him into the man he was. After his death I did a lot of thinking about him and I finally understood him or so I think I did.I think mother made him a better person. Sometimes I still ponder at the thought that if I hadn't been born my mother wouldn't have married him, still makes me feel queasy. They say he died from illness, I came to visit him when he was sick, he was civil about it. I think he might have missed me a little. I stayed in town with T-Ray while he was sick but after I arrived he died only a few days after. The funeral was 2 weeks after, Im glad I got to see you there. I beleiev that was one of the last times I saw you. After that I found a bunch of mothers old stuff I gave some of it to August. I figured she would want some of it. She deserved all of it, she was the one who took care of her. I miss you Rosaleen. I plan to take a trip to visit you all soon
Yours,
~Lily Owens
Mary Veracka
Really nice letter. I like the details––especially those about Zach and his life. I also like what you said about Lily's mother marrying T.Ray because she was born. One little detail: Remember to proofread and be careful of run-ons.
DeletePropmpt 3:
ReplyDeleteDear Zach,
Do you remember that time when we were at the stream, a few days after May died, and you told me that we could be together after you become somebody? I know it’s strange for someone to start a letter off like this, but I had to get it off my chest. Do you remember how badly we wanted to be together back then, but we couldn’t because you had to change the world first? Well, I just saw your name in the paper; Mr. Zachary Taylor, attorney at law. They had your picture there and everything. It was a story about you, and the headline was “South Carolina Lawyer Makes Big Changes for Minority-Owned Businesses.” Seeing you in the paper took me by surprise, but I knew all along that you could do it. August, June, and May were all so good at running Black Madonna Honey, and I can’t imagine that you were inspired by anyone else.
I’ve kept up with the sisters over these years, even though you and I have kind of lost touch. June is happily married to Neil, and she thought it would be practical for them to get a house of their own in Tiburon. August has hired some more lost children to help her with the honey business, just like how she hired us all those years ago. In between helping August with Black Madonna Honey, Rosaleen speaks at the high school in Tiburon about voting and how important it is to be a registered voter. As for me, well, I teach English at a small high school in Virginia. I hope you love being a lawyer as much as I love being a teacher, as we are both living out our childhood dreams.
It’s been almost sixteen years since we graduated high school and went our separate ways. I still remember the look on your face when they named you valedictorian and told you that you had the highest grades in the class. I knew you would go far in life, and I’m so sorry for not staying in touch. I got the address of your law office from the newspaper article about you and decided to write you a letter.
On that night by the stream after May died, you gave me something, do you remember? Two things actually. First, you gave me your dog tag so that I could remember you even when we were apart. I wore that dog tag so much in college and thought about you all the time. But once I became a teacher I didn’t think it would be very professional of me to wear a dog tag necklace everyday, so I keep it in a box on my dresser now. But you also gave me a promise that night. You promised that we could be together after you’ve become someone, just like I said at the beginning of this letter. I could write a hundred letters to you about nothing and everything, but I need you to remember this and that’s why I’m writing to you now. Because I think you’ve become someone. You’re helping small businesses owned by the oppressed and the outnumbered. You did so well in school and now you’re an ass-kicking lawyer, just like you said you would be and just like I knew you would become.
So here’s my big question Mr. Attorney at Law, can we be together? Now that you’re somebody, now that you’re making a difference, can we be together? You promised that you would find me and that we could be together. So come find me, and we can be together.
Love,
Lily
I love this letter, Margaret! I’m really glad you made Lily and Zach both achieve their dreams. That’s a very satisfying ending for both of them. In the book, Lily wasn’t quite sure what she wanted to do with her life, but she loved to write. Being an English teacher seems like a good career for her. Zach showed the determination and academic excellence needed to become a lawyer, and the only thing standing in his way was racism. Reading about his success was very fulfilling. I also enjoyed that you included the premise of them restarting their relationship after so many years. Lily and Zach are a perfect example of forbidden love when the book takes place. It would have been unrealistic for them to end up together in the story, since their relationship defies many social constructs of the early 1960’s. But the possibility of them reconnecting after so many years is very hopeful. The way Sue Monk Kidd wrote about them made it seem like they were perfect for each other, and I’m sure that I wasn’t the only person rooting for them as a couple while reading! One of my favorite things about this letter, however, is that you didn’t actually make them end up together or get married. The implication was there, but it’s up to the reader’s imagination. It’s kind of a cliffhanger, but not as scary or suspenseful. Great job!
DeleteI think this is a great letter, Margaret! I echo Ceci's thoughts. And somehow it has a bittersweet ending to it that reminds me of the ending of La La Land in a way. I particularly liked the detail with the dog tag.
DeleteDear Lily,
ReplyDeleteI miss you so much. College is harder than I expected, but I am more determined than ever to persevere and become a lawyer like I always promised you I would. You were one of the only ones that ever believed in me, really believed in me. I miss going on drives with you on the old roads. You always looked so pretty when the wind went through your hair. I hope senior year is going well! There is so much more to the world then our small little town and I can’t wait for you to see it all. It will give you so much to write about. Are you writing lately? I hope you are. It feels like an eternity ago when I gave you that first notebook.
I know that the next four years will be hard, and law school even harder. But I can’t stop thinking of the day that I got arrested, of what happened to Rasoline. It just isn’t right. I want to represent the people who haven’t gotten representation for all these years. Life is so different here, people are more accepting up north. Black and White students are friends, it’s nothing like the division down there. But, all my professors are still white. Guess what I saw yesterday? A White man and a Black woman, hand in hand walking down the street. Both of them were laughing and smiling at each other. It made me happier than I have ever been Lily. They were in love, like,well I think we are. I’ve talked to Clayton, and he has agreed to give me a paid job this summer. That way, I can save up for law school and see you and my family. This will work Lily, we will work. I promise you.
All my love,
Zach
Dear Zach,
I am so proud of you for going after your dreams! Don’t worry, the first semester is always the hardest, at least that’s what everyone at school with older siblings tell me. I cannot believe I will be leaving high school in a few months. I want to wear my beautiful brown and gold hat to graduation. You know, the one I wear to service? But it seems a little trivial to be thinking about what I will wear when it’s still so many months away. I am finishing up my applications for schools, the whole process is nerve racking I honestly don’t know how you did it. One school asked me a seemingly simple question-- who are you? I did not know for a while, but after many days of sitting by the river I decided I would write about just that. The river, May, August, and you. I never knew that when I stepped out T. Ray's door my life would lead me to a whole other world of love and family. I am so glad I found y'all.
I am writing, yes. About everything I see. The bees, the leaves of a tree, and me. But I guess all of those things are part of me in a way. I cannot imagine the pain I will feel when I have to leave here next fall. I will miss August and June and Rosaline so much. I will miss the bees and the honey house where I stayed for that first hot summer. I will miss it all almost as much as I miss you now. I too have hope for our future outside of this small minded town, the world is changing Zach. Because of people like you it is changing. I hope I can change it too one day with my words. I hope you know I keep every notebook you have ever given me. 23 to be exact, each spine worn and not a single page left blank. It will be wonderful to see you this Thanksgiving! You would think Rosaline is planning a meal to feed the whole state of South Carolina.
With love,
Lily
^^ Prompt #4
DeleteReally nice letter and really nice details. I especially like the details around the number of notebooks that Zach gave Lily. That's really good!
DeleteResponse to #1
ReplyDeleteThis is a diary entry by August:
July, 1963
The other day, a white girl and her black helper came to our house today asking for a place to stay as she waits for her aunt to take her to boarding school. Her helper, Rosaleen, had had a horrible beating and needed to be treated very quickly. They also seemed hungry and tired. Now, do I believe this girl? Not. One. Bit. I have two reasons to not believe her. The first reason is that who would believe a story like that? I do admit that to the untrained person it would sound like the absolute truth. But I know how liars act and I see right through them. The second reason is her. The girl. Not only does the girl own Deborah’s nose and eyes, her hair and head shape, but this girl’s name is also Lily. Yes, I do believe I have just met Deborah Owen’s own daughter, flesh and blood. Part of me wonders why she came here. Does she know about Deborah? Did she come here to meet May, June, and I because Deborah wrote about us somewhere? If so, why does she feel the need to lie?
Anyways, I have been putting Lily to work with helping me with the bees. She is a quick learner, but I feel like something is holding her back. Actually, I feel like there is something that has been holding her back for a long time. I sometimes notice her deep in thought every once in a while. I haven’t the faintest idea of what she could be thinking about, I just hope everything is alright with her.
These past few days with Lily and Rosaleen here have been making me ponder about Deborah and T. Ray. What exactly happened to them? I know that Deborah is dead, but I wonder about T. Ray. Is he better than he was all those years ago? He probably is not because Lily and Rosaleen ran away. It’s ironic, isn’t it? Both Deborah and Lily ran away from home and T. Ray to find themselves in the arms of the Boatwright sisters.
I feel like Lily and Rosaleen’s appearance have done us a bit of good. While I do love May with all of my heart, I feel she needs to meet some new people and make new friends. Making new friends never hurts anyone. She and Lily seem to be getting along nicely. June on the other hand….well, she’s just being June. I’m sure she will warm up to Lily and Rosaleen in due time, but for now, she coops herself up in her room-bowing her cello to her heart’s content. She also still refuses to marry Neil! I swear if she doesn’t walk down the aisle with him soon their relationship will end and it will not be pretty! She and Neil are probably the prettiest couple I could ever think of and yet she is still hesitant. I cannot believe she is scared that Neil might ditch her as her past fiance did. Because as far as I’m concerned, Neil would rather die than marry a girl other than June! Maybe she will accept her and his feelings tomorrow, but only time will tell...
- Saylor Billiau
DeleteNicely done, Saylor. I like that your wrote about how August knew who Lily was, and how she knew it was Lily. I liked seeing August's thought process.
Delete