The Secret Lives of Bees (Part One: Chapters 1-4)
For Tuesday night (10/27), by 8:00 p.m., please respond to the following two prompts. The response to the first prompt should be at least 100 words. The response to the second prompt should be at least 150 words––not counting the words in the quote.
1. Respond to the book so far. What do you like/dislike about it? React to the characters. What do you think of them and why? What about the plot? Do you find it engaging or not? What do you think is going to happen? Make predictions if you like. (At least 100 words.)
2. Pick a piece of language (from Chapters 1-4) that feels important to you or to the overall meaning of the work. Type that piece of language as part of your answer, and then explain why it felt important to you or the overall meaning of the work. The words from the book do not count towards your total of at least 150 words.
Prompt 1:
ReplyDeleteSo far, I really like The Secret Life Of Bees. I think it’s a lot more engaging than our previous honors book, since the storyline is very clear and the characters are more interesting and relatable (in my opinion). I’m looking forward to learning more about the three sisters: May, June, and August. They all have very distinct personalities, and everything about them seems intriguing. Details about their flamingo-pink house, their Black Madonna honey business, and their deceased sister, April, all made me curious. I’m especially excited to see what the connection is between the three of them and Lily’s mother, if there is any connection at all. I think that there is definitely some kind of backstory linking all of the characters so far with T. Ray as well.
Prompt 2:
“When I put on my shoes and headed back, the light poured down in shafts, and I wanted it to always be like this—no T. Ray, no Mr. Gaston, nobody wanting to beat Rosaleen senseless. Just the rain-cleaned woods and the rising light.”
This passage is from the end of Chapter 4, on the first day that Lily and Rosaleen spend with May, June, and August. This chapter is very descriptive, which I enjoyed. The author clearly put lots of thought into how they introduced Tiburon, South Carolina to readers. I thought that this section is especially powerful, however, because it really shows how peaceful it is there. Lily has a pretty tough life. Her mother died when she was four, her father is abusive, and she just had to watch her ‘stand-in mother,’ Rosaleen, get beat up by three of the most racist men in town. After running away from T. Ray and rescuing Rosaleen from prison, she has hardly had time to rest without worrying about what will happen to them. She makes the decision to go to Tiburon because she believes she will learn something about her mother, and it seems like she feels a connection to her mother by just being there. It also seems like this place will give her a chance to have a fresh start. This line shows how hopeful she is. The potential of being happy goes along with the ‘rising light.’
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1. After reading the first four chapters of Secret Life of Bees, I have really liked it so far. I like it more than the last honors book, with this book having a better plot. I like that the story goes into detailed descriptions, but is not stuck on a scene for a long time. I also like the main character, Lily. She comes from a not very good life. She wants to be popular in school, wants her dad to love her, and wants a mother, whether it is Rosaleen or for her own mother to still be alive. I do not like Lily’s dad, T. Ray. He overlooks Lily, does not seem to really care about her, and I think he is lying about Lily’s mother’s death. Lily says he is very good at punishing her, which makes me feel very bad for her. I also like that Rosaleen is stubborn when sticking up for herself. I think another reason why she is very stubborn is that she does not want to be controlled by a girl who is much younger than her. I am interested in learning more about Autumn and her sisters as well.
ReplyDeleteMy prediction is that Lily’s mother did not want to be married to T. Ray or she was protesting for Civil Rights. I believe that T. Ray was the one to kill her mother and let Lily believe she did it. I also think that Autumn knew Lily’s mother, and is going to find out who Lily and Rosaleen is.
2. “‘The police asked lots of questions, but it was just one of those terrible things. You didn’t mean to do it,’ [T. Ray] said softly.” (page 19)
This quote was when T. Ray wanted to tell Lily how her mother died, and she told him what she remembered of that day. I thought that this was an important part of the book because Lily carries around the guilt of what she did and the absence of her mother, in her everyday life. Lily’s memory is she was the one to kill her mother, in an accident. She feels terrible about this accident and says that once she is with her mother in heaven, she will beg for forgiveness every day for ten thousand years. Because she was so young when her mother died, Lily lacked a mother figure, so she finds herself with Rosaleen filling that role. With her father being abusive, sometimes wished she could be Rosaleen’s actual daughter and live with her somewhere else, but because of the time period, and people of color not having as many rights as white people, she knew that it would never work out. With Lily being fed up with her abusive father, and Rosaleen in danger, she decides to run away to Tiburon, South Carolina to try to find more information about her mother.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAden
ReplyDeleteMr Joseph Deffner
English 9 Honours
25 October 2020
Response 1
I think The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd is a rather intriguing book. The plot is interesting, and I’m curious to see what happens with August and her siblings. I think that they’ll eventually figure out what Lily and Rosaleen are there for. I think Lily is rather childish, especially in her letter to T. Ray. T. Ray is a jerk, but he does seem to at least want Lily around. Rosaleen is smart, but she has quite the independent streak. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but it might be the death of her, considering she’s in the 1960s.
Response 2
“‘You don’t scare me’ I said … a brazen feeling had broken lose in me, a daring something that had been locked up in my chest” (38). This is a rather important line, as it sets up the rest of the story. If she hadn’t felt this way, she wouldn’t have gone to rescue Rosaleen, nor would she have tried to make it to Tiburon, South Carolina. It shows she dislikes T. Ray, and it shows T. Ray is an abusive father. It also demonstrates rebelliousness on Lily’s part, driving her to run away. It makes it clear that Lily is going to do something that could be incredibly stupid, or incredibly smart, or both. Either way, it is sure to be something interesting and what she would consider brave. In some ways, the quote shows that she was either somewhat oppressed, or that she never had the need nor wanted to be particulary brave. This makes sense, based off the rest of the book, where her father didn’t really support her and she personally was too obsessed with social life to “afford” a rebellion, meaning rebelling would lead to further falls in her social life.
Prompt 1. I like the book so far. I enjoy reading something that from what I can tell so far wouldn't be what I would normally choose. I like how parts of it are written very poetically but also in a way it is understandable and can be looked at through a literal lens. I enjoy the way its written and while it is historical it isn't written in a teaching sort of way. It is rather written in a way that illustrates and shows the history rather than tells it, that makes it very fun and engaging. I can't tell too much about the characters from what I have read so far. Im not sure about the history of the characters or their backstories. I think that the few characters developed at this point are very compelling and especially T ray, for me is an intriguing character because of his weird moods and anger.
ReplyDeletePrompt 2. I chose the quote " then we turned around and you were standing there holding the gun. You'd picked it up off the floor. Then it just went off." When I read this specific quote it caused me to think of a few things. The two possibilities either this is true and T ray being socially awkward or insensitive decided this would be a good way to tell her. If true I would agree that this is an important thing for her to find out and grow to accept. If this is untrue then T ray is severely morally perverted and lacks any decency as a father and person. I don't know whether I think this is true or false. If i had to guess based on evidence I think it is true. I think that the author tries to spark pity from the reader to T ray and I can't see The author keeping this flair if he is guilty of this.
Prompt 1:
ReplyDeleteMy first impression of The Secret Life Of Bees was that the first chapter was rather long, over 30 pages. I really liked the writing style--old-fashioned, because it’s set in the 1960s, but very descriptive and beautiful. I also liked all the uses of metaphors and similes, like when bird calls were described as “sharp as needles.” Overall, the language was very vivid and really created a mental picture, which I enjoyed.
I feel like I haven’t read quite enough to get a good sense of the characters yet, but some personality traits stood out to me. The main character, Lily, seems to be a very defiant sort of person, which is rather admirable. She also seems very smart--not just academic intelligence, but has the cleverness to make up stories on the spot to help Rosaleen. T. Ray just seems to be a standard abusive parent--cold towards his daughter, yells, etcetera. I like Rosaleen and her rebellious attitude so far--she seems like an interesting person.
Prompt 2:
The passage I chose is “I laid my head against Rosaleen’s arm. I wanted her to pat life back into place, but her hands lay still in her lap.” I think this line is significant for a few reasons. Firstly, it symbolizes that life is clearly never going to be the same for Rosaleen and Lily. They just got arrested, snuck out of a hospital, and ran away from home--obviously upending their lives. Who knows when they’ll be able to go back, or what T. Ray, Franklin Posey, or anybody else in the town will say? Lily understandably just wants everything to go back to normal, for this to have never happened, and for the first time in a while, her “stand-in mother” can’t make everything better again. In difficult or scary situations, especially when you’re younger, sometimes you kind of just expect the adults to be able to fix everything. They have more experience and more authority--surely they can just put everything back into place, right? Since Lily isn’t that young and likely knows by now that no one can magically fix things, she’s really just wishing that Rosaleen could indeed “pat life back into place.” But right now, there’s nothing Rosaleen can do. This also relates to Lily’s struggles with her mother being dead. At the beginning of the book, Lily describes experiences where she could have really used her mother’s advice or comfort. This must be one of those kinds of situations. Rosaleen is no doubt a good mother figure, and takes care of Lily as best she can. But even though Rosaleen is a good "stand-in mother," Lily understandably misses her birth mother's advice and comfort in tough situations.
- Leo
DeletePrompt #1
ReplyDeleteReading The Secret Life of Bees is interesting. I like the book so far. I think it's not boring, there's always something happening. Reading it I left very anxious, when T Ray was about to hit her I left tense or when Lily and Rosaleen started running away I was nervous for them, running away from all you know with no reassurance of anything is quite frightening. I think it’s engaging, I like how she has these thoughts that black people are uneducated and uncultured but as she's around august and all of them she realized that that's not true and that those thoughts are ridiculous. My prediction is that they aren’t going to get away forever that eventually they will get caught but T Ray and Rosaleen and Lily will all learn something new from it.
Prompt #2
“You listen to me,” he said his voice deadly calm.” The truth is, your sorry mother ran off and left you. The day she died, she’d come back to get her things, that’s all. You can hate me all you want, but she’s the one who left you.”
“That’s when it came to me: What if my mother leaving me wasn’t true? What if T.Ray had made it up to punish me?”
“
In this part of the book, Lily is talking about her father lying to her. She talks about how he lies to her all the time to punish her. This time the lie doesn't seem to be a lie. Lily says that she can’t remember anything about her mother before the moment of her death. I think that lying has a big part in this book. She ran away because she thought he was lying and the lie hurt her. Whether it was the truth or not she couldn't accept that her mother left her. She said that T Ray lied to her all the time so he had to be lying about this. He lied to her about her bunny. The fact that he lies to her all the time was the reason she doesn't believe him this time. I think lily will spend the book figuring out all the lies. How much lies can affect people’s lives.
~Mary Veracka
Prompt 1
ReplyDeleteI feel that I like this book much more than the first one. It tells a better and stronger story and is easier to follow. The characters are strong and well written and are relatable in many aspects. There is also a much more attention grabbing story line and hooks you into the story. I also found the backstory of the accidental killing of her mother quite interesting. It is definitely the kind of thing that keeps you hooked on the book. One of the things that I think is going to happen is that she is going to discover something about her mother that is going to change her view of her.
Prompt 2
"When I put on my shoes and headed back, the light poured down in shafts, and I wanted it to always be like this-no T. Ray,no Mr.Gaston, nobody wanting to beat Rosaleen senseless. Just the rain-cleaned woods and the rising light."(81)
I chose this quote because it shows how much Lily cares about those close to her. It shows how much she loves Rosaleen and how she did so much to try and help her. It also shows how much she hates her father for everything he has done and everything he hasn't. It also shows that after living under her fathers roof for so long even the slightest bit of peace is something that she welcomes with open arms. It also helps us all realise what a release the outdoors are for her. Lily obviously loves every part of the outdoors and it seems to serve as a shelter away from T. Ray and from the loss of her mother. It also helps us understand what a burden it is off of her shoulders now that she is away from her father. Lily is obviously very happy to be away from her father and his abuse of her.
Response to #1
ReplyDeleteSomething I like about the book so far is the way Monk Kidd describes things. The way she described Lily’s mother’s perfume made me perfectly imagine it. The way she described August Boatwright in the yard was also really interesting. “[August] was tall, dressed in white, wearing a pith helmet with veils that floated across her face, settled down her shoulders, and trailed down her back. She looked like an African bride” (67). The descriptions are very specific, but they don’t distract you from the story but rather pull you in. I also like the protagonist, Lily. She seems very childish and sweet. I like how when they entered the house how she believed she had a sixth sense and how she was wondering “what her body knew that [she] didn’t” (69). Because of these reasons, I find this book very engaging and I can’t wait to read more.
Response to #2
“The scent got laid down in me in a permanent way and had all the precision of cinnamon. I used to go regularly into the Sylvan Mercantile and smell every perfume bottle they had, trying to identify it. Every time I showed up, the perfume lady acted surprised, saying, ‘My goodness, look who’s here.’ Like I hadn’t just been in there the week before and gone down the entire row of bottles. Shalimar, Chanel No.5, White Shoulders” (6).
Something that I see a lot (whether in movies, books, T.V. shows, or anything) is that when people recall their dead mother, one of the things they first mention is their mother’s perfume. With Lily, it’s no different. Scent is an important sense and smelling something you have not smelled in a long time can bring back intense nostalgia. This quote is said by Lily in the part of Chapter 1 when remembering her mother and how she died. Lily describes the scent wrapping her when her mother would embrace with a hug, inferring that she felt at home and safe. The way Lily talks about her mother’s perfume also shows a lot about how she felt about her mother. If she despised her mother, she would not have gone into the perfume shop tracking the bottle down. Instead, she would have grown to avoid the smell and would associate bitter memories with it.
-Saylor
Prompt 1:
ReplyDeleteI really like The Secret Life of Bees so far. The author uses a lot of descriptive phrases, and she also pays attention to the smallest details, which I like. For example, when Lily says that sweat was pooling up in between Rosaleen’s collarbones. That seems like such a miniscule detail, but it really makes it feel like I am in the book. I also really like that the main characters in the book are two spunky, outgoing women. Lily and Rosaleen both have big personalities; they do what they want and they don’t let anyone stop them. I feel like this might get them into even more trouble throughout the book, but it also makes for interesting conversations between them. I thought that the majority of the book would take place while Lily and Rosaleen were on their way to Tiburon, but they got there very quickly, and I’m interested to see what will happen while they’re there. One prediction I have is that Lily’s mother was friends with the women who run the honey business, but I’m curious to see if she knew them at all, and if she did, how.
Prompt 2:
“What if my mother leaving me wasn’t true? What if T. Ray had made it up to punish me? I felt almost dizzy with relief...That had to be it” (Kidd 41).
This line from the book really stood out to me because I think it shows how much Lily wants to be loved by her mother. She says that she asks her mother for forgiveness in church a lot and she imagines going to be with her mother in heaven one day and being forgiven by her. Lily had always believed that her mother loved her when she was alive, and then T. Ray tells her the opposite, that she left Lily. Lily feels “broken to pieces” when T. Ray tells her this, but it only lasts for a few minutes (Kidd 40). Lily remembers that T. Ray makes things up to punish her sometimes, and she decides that he made that up as well. She says that it is not possible for someone to have two parents who don’t love them, and she determines that her mother did love her. I find it interesting that Lily doesn’t actually know if her mother left her; she hasn’t gotten any real confirmation about whether what T. Ray said was true or not. She asked Rosaleen, but she didn’t know Lily’s mother very well, and she didn’t really answer the question either. I think someone will tell Lilly the truth about her mother at some point, and what the truth is will have a huge effect on Lily and could affect the plot as well.
Prompt #1:
ReplyDeleteI am pleased with this book so far. It supplies great action and suspense and it is beautifly written. I have especially enjoyed reading all of the author’s creative descriptions and similies that paint beautiful pictures in the reader’s head. It was not clear to me that this girl was White from the beginning, so at first I was a little bit confused, but after it was made clear the book started to make much more sense. Although the plot is very interesting, the beginning is similar to many other books that I have read in which the child has past trauma and an abusive home life which results in them running away and starting an adventure to find themselves. However, after that basis is made, the plot starts to stray from other books. It was surprising to see that she decided to take Rosaleen with her because in most of these adventures, the children are on their own. I expect that the two will face many more racial inequities as the book goes on. I am excited to read on, and especially interested to find out why this book has the unique title of “The Secret Life of Bees.”
Prompt#2:
The quote “...It seemed like all of a sudden like my mother was there, up against my body, like she was bits and pieces of insulation molded against my skin, helping me absorb the meanness,” (24) spoke to me not only because it is quite beautiful, but because it also holds much power. In this moment, Lily is suffering from severe pain inflicted by both her father’s verbal abuse and his punishment of “Martha White Grits.” However, she is able to find strength in the memory of her mother and perseveres. Lily’s mother seems to be the biggest hole in her life and the one memory that she has of her is not a happy one so I find it inspiring that she can find love for her mother and take comfort and strength from her memory. Lily talks quite a bit about the day that her mother died and it is still unclear to both her and the reader what exactly happened, but when Lily’s father tells her that her mother did not care about her she becomes upset. She chooses to believe that he is lying because she does not want the image in her mind to be tarnished. Lily uses the memory of her mother as fuel to fight for answers and to be strong in life, and I predict this will be a recurring theme of this book.
Acadia Cook
ReplyDeletePrompt 1
I already really like the book. Other than it being a little confusing because of the constant jumping around, it is really interesting and always keeps me on my toes. I like how it jumps from one thing to the next so you are not just reading either the same thing over and over again or you are just reading one long description of the thing that is happening. I like books that give lots of backstory because it makes me feel as though I know the person personally. I like how in the book we can already see it tying to the bee storyline because in some books they do not introduce the relation to title until almost the end. I love the already character introduction and the amount of events that have happened already. It definitely has me intrigued especially when Overall, I think it is going to be a good book and I am excited to read more.
Prompt 2: “‘You don’t scare me’ I said mostly under my breath” (pg 37).
Although this quote doesn’t really say anything, it also kind of sets the stage for the way the book is and the way is, and it shows how she is really treated, and how she is trying to stand up for herself. We can clearly see that she is abused by T. Ray and she is used to it, but I think for her even though she is used to it, it may still be hard for her to stand up for herself. I get the vibe that she is really tough on the outside but on the inside she may be scared. She is an incredibly tough young woman, and she seems really smart.
Response 1:
ReplyDeleteSo far I have enjoyed reading The Secret Life of Bees. I think there is a mysterious aspect of it that almost isn’t a mystery at all. Lily’s father is trying to hide the real cause of her mother’s death. It seems that the father is an obvious suspect. The mysterious part of the first chapters is: why was Lily’s mother cleaning out the closet? Was it to collect her things to run away. And Was Lily’s father the cause of her mother’s death. I predict that Lily’s mother was running to Tiburon and that Lily will meet someone there who knew her mother.
Response 2:
“Why it's the funniest goddamn thing I ever heard: you think your mother is your guardian angel.” he laughed again. “The woman could have cared less about you.” “That’s not true,” I said. “It's not”(Page 39)
I think this passage is important because it shows how insensitive Lily’s father is. T-Ray does not seem like the nicest person, but here he just goes way too far. Lily seems to have this spiritual connection with her deceased mother. She sees her as a guardian angel with T-Ray later criticizing her for. Lily clearly knows that something happened between her parents right before a gun went off and her mother was found dead. “The woman could have cared less about you,” This is what made me wonder why Lily’s mother was cleaning out the closet. Could she have possibly been leaving? This is what Lily had across her mind also. This whole moment between Lily and T-Ray leads up to Lily finally leaving the peach farm. I would assume that leaving that farm was not a spur of the moment thought but maybe something she's had in the back of her mind for a long time and finally acted upon it.
1. So far I’ve liked the book. It’s been very interesting to read. I really liked when Lily helped Rosaleen escape prison, it was fun to see the plan they thought up and executed. I really didn’t like Lily’s father, T. Ray, because of how horribly he treats her. He is very abusive and close-minded and he isn’t a healthy person for her to live with. I also hated the racism. It disgusts, appalls, and saddens me the way the various townsfolk treated Rosaleen, especially the three men that got her arrested. I was afraid that they would do much worse to her then they ended up doing. For some reason while reading this book, I kept thinking that it was set in the 1800s instead of 1964. I think this was mainly due to the local culture, which seems very and the horrific racism. I guess I thought things were much better than they really were, even back in the ‘60s. Sometimes it’s easy to forget that the Civil Rights movement happened only sixty years ago.
ReplyDeleteAs for the characters, I like Rosaleen. It’s heartwarming how much she cares for Lily, and I was genuinely worried they would split up after their fight under the bridge. I also like the three Boatwright sisters. I love how eccentric they are, as well as how they live their lives together. They always seem to be there for each other. After seeing some of May’s behavior, I began wondering if she may have some form of autism or other neurodivergent condition, as she seems to be very focused on a few specific things and doesn’t seem to understand how “normal people” act. I really dislike T. Ray. I can’t think of a single thing I like about him. He just seems all around awful, and I’m glad Lily and Rosaleen have left him behind. I also dislike all the townsfolk who mistreated or judged Rosaleen. As stated above, it makes me angry and sad that people would treat someone like Rosaleen so awfully just because of her skin color.
2. "I understood that a new rooftop would do wonders for me." (pg. 26)
This quote was impactful to me because it seems to be one of the first times Lily actively defies her father’s will in the book, recognising that he is a bad parent and that his roof is not good for her to live under. It also provided a bit of foreshadowing for when she runs away and begins living with the Boatwright’s later in the book. She also comes to realise earlier in the scene that her father probably doesn't love her, at least not anymore. I think this is also the point where she decides she’s not going to take anything from her father anymore, as the next time he tries to punish her, she runs away. I also felt I could relate to this quote. While I haven’t been abused by my parents like Lily has, there have been times where I wanted to live under another roof, to not have to do what they say.
Prompt 1:
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the first few chapters of “The Secret Life of Bees” by Sue Monk Kidd I can say that I definitely like this book better than the other books we have read this year. I like it more because the characters are more relatable and it is told as more of a story. What I mean by this is that events are taking place in order and not just random flashbacks. I personally appreciate this. As far as the characters go I think that they all have very distinct personalities but that there is some back story or something of that nature that we do not know about yet that links them all together. I am curious to find out exactly what that is.
Prompt 2:
“That’s when it came to me: What if my mother leaving me wasn’t true? What if T.Ray had made it up to punish me?”
I think this is a really important quote from the book. Lily is now questioning this story and suspecting T.Ray of lying to her. When Lily starts questioning the truth in her life she will make a bold decision and do something that a normal calm Lily might not do. In this case, it is running away. This is where the plot starts to reveal itself and Lily changes as a character. This quote and the events that follow it also show us just how much Lily believes in her mother to love her. She has so much faith in her mother, someone she has never truly met. Yet she has so much hate for T.Ray now that she thinks he may have made the story up. I find it interesting in general how people tend to chose to believe what they want to be true even if the facts are leaning the other way. Of course, I do not believe that to be true in this book for many reasons I just noticed and find it interesting to see in day to day life.
Hey Mason. I also like this book a lot more than the other honor’s book. I think that the characters are a little more relatable, especially Lily. She argues with her dad, wishes to be more popular and have more friends, and likes to be alone. I also like it more, because of the more consistent story and the fact that, like you said, there are not a lot of flashbacks and the events are in order, with the exception of Lily remembering the day that her mother died. I am also interested in learning the characters’ backgrounds, like T. Ray, Lily’s mother, and June. I really like the quote you used. Lily questioning her father leads to her running away, and that really changes her personality a lot. Lily always knew that her father seemed to not like her, but tried not to believe it until he told her that her mother left her. Lily decided to leave after not wanting to stay with her lying, abusive father. Even though she did not remember her mother, she still loved her so much that she wanted to know more about her life. I also think it’s interesting that many people can believe things they want to be true, even if there is evidence to prove it wrong. I think that Lily did make the right decision to run away, and she seems to have really grown into herself and personality.
Deleteprompt 1: after reading the first couple of chapters of the book "The Secret Life Of Bees" By Sue Monk Kidd I really like the book and honestly I didn't think I would, by the cover. I like it because it seems like the book isn't jumping around so much like the other book we read and I think I get more information out of it and I feel like I can figure out the characters better and it makes it much easier to find out the personalities of each character. Which in the end I think will help a lot.
ReplyDeletePrompt 2:
“Why it's the funniest goddamn thing I ever heard: you think your mother is your guardian angel.” he laughed again. “The woman could have cared less about you.” “That’s not true,” I said. “It's not”
I think this peace stood out to me because I hear a lot about kids with one parent or kids that don’t have their biological parents and every time I hear about a kid that was left my there parent I think about my life. I know that it’s not about me but I think what my life would have been like if my parents left me. What opportunities did I miss because I didn’t have a dad or a mom and in my life my mom plays a bigger role than my dad but if I didn’t have then I wouldn’t have six siblings that I love and I probably wouldn’t be able to meet my really good friends, so when I think of the kid in the book that’s mother “couldn’t have cared less.” about him I just think is he ok and is he getting through this ok, and I honestly think that that man saying his mother “didn’t care about him.” Is such an obnoxious thing to do because maybe it was really hard for the kid.